1. You get to discover how complex and amazing language is, especially if your child was delayed in talking. If they are still non verbal, you will find many other useful ways to communicate such as PECS, and makaton. You will become an expert in the subject.
2 Your kids teachers never forget your kid’s name. You get to know them and they pay special attention to your little cracker. Parents evenings often last 40 minutes rather than 5, so you never get those awkward silences.
3. Chances are your kid is more honest than others. If you want to know what is going on, you will get a straight answer no story telling, lies or secrets behind your back
4. Autistic kids very often aren’t influenced by other people’s trends, so chances are they won’t nag you about getting the latest expensive clothing or shoes
6. Autistic kids can have very unique imagination. Very much this is due to not being influenced by others. Their insights about life can be fascinating.
7. Autistic kids are often just as happy, if not happier in your company than with other kids. This gives you an amazing connection that isn’t always present with non Autistic kids who thrive to play with other children.
8. Ability to focus on specialist interests can result in expert knowledge in many subjects and specialist talents
9. Having an Autistic kid can bring you into a world you have never considered. A whole new community of friends and support
10. Finally, they teach you that with patience and understanding so much can be achieved, that life can lead into a completely different avenue that you expected, but can be equally as enjoyable, and a great adventure
Autistic children don’t need to be that terrible burden that the media portrays them as. With patience, love and energy, their potential is unlimited. Let’s change the conversation about Autism and give our kids the self confidence to thrive .